Monday, September 28, 2009

Ink and Incapability

The title would be referring to the temporary writer's block that had me stumped for a title for a few minutes, a couple of seconds ago. Still, I turned the problem into the solution expertly, and once again have bent reality to my will. Go me!

Ahem.

I walked to work the other day, enjoying the weather, which recently has been very hot and very sunny (followed by very cold completely cloudless nights). Even as I walked to work in shades and a T shirt, neighbours were hapilly talking about how lovely the weather is for the back end of September.

Yep, just as the hottest (one of the hottest, at least!) day of the year was way back, abnormally early, in april, it seems the hot weather has continued, more or less, right through September, even as the trees shed their leaves, and sycamore seeds whirl from the sky almost as a precursor to the snow that will follow. Once again, another year seems to be growing old.

Which leads me to make the astonishing announcement that I have, as of a few hours ago, purchased my first Christmas Present! As shocking as this might seem, if you read back, you'll notice that I started buying presents about this time last year, as well.

So about this present. Well. It's sparkly, different, very cool, and in fact is so cool that I'm going to have a quick look at it to er, check the contents, and to make sure everything works and stuff. Yes, that's right :-).

But it's not arrived yet, so hey :).



My Ipod parts on the other hand, did finally arrive, and so I set to work replacing the shell/clickwheel of the ipod. Youtube tutorial videos had made it clear that replacing the case is simple enough, but to replace the clickwheel the entire thing has to come to bits. I guess the most worrying part was having to prise the main board off the frame, since it was held in place only by glue (!)

The whole thing took about an hour, and was simple enough really, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't relieved when the 2 halfs of the case finally locked together with a satisfying click. And my Ipod? Well now it looks new. Yay!

One other thing I did, was to copy my family's favourite christmas tape (we've always used one particular christmas tape for years and years) to MP3 so now I can carry those old tunes about with me. Once done, I went to search for other tapes to copy, and in the process I found lots of stuff I thought I no longer owned. Old talismans, pendants, postcards from mates I haven't seen for years, lots of stuff with a very high sentimental value.

When I was a kid, my sister and I used to fight over who got to keep the extremely long receipts we got from the checkouts at christmas food shopping. I found a few of them in a box under my bed, dated 2001 and 2002, and just for old time's sake went to show my dad.
Disappointingly, all he did was question why I should want to keep "rubbish".

My sister and I are very different in that regard - If I don't have a damn good reason to throw something away, I generally keep it, especially if it has sentimental value.
My sister on the other hand, likes to throw stuff away the second she can't instantly come up with a good reason not to. She attatches no sentimental value to anything, and seems to value a possession based strictly on its utility. Efficient, but rather cold, I think.
I guess I now see where she gets it from. Still, one man's junk is another man's treasure, as they say, and as freudian/homoerotic as that sounds, I'm inclined to agree.

So yeah. Not much else to go on about relaly layley, so I'll leave it here. while I lay back and daydream about what other presents I'd like to buy :-).

Byeeeee.

No comments: