Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Aching muscles and iPod innards...

So, what have I been doing the past few days...

Well, I've been spending a lot of time in the gym - 90 minutes per day to be exact, and I've been making sure that I get a good workout because I need to be at the top of my game when time comes to go to the recruit selection center. I come home exhausted every evening, and wake up feeling battered and achy, but it's worth it.

In other news, my iPod video screen shield (the plastic cover, not the screen itself) cracked for some reason unknown to me. So I decided to order a replacement plastic cover, and fit it myself rather than asking Apple to do it for me, for many £££.

The front cover arrived today, so as soon as I got home from the gym, I got on with fitting it. The process involved stripping the ipod almost the way down to each individual component, to get the front cover off which oddly enough, is actually held on by everything else attached to it. I'm not going to go into loads of detail, but the long and short of it is that it's the most difficult part to get off, despite actually being on the front.

Anyway, never having done anything like this before, with only a brief instruction video that I found on youtube, as well as the green plastic case opening tool which was thoughtfully provided by the seller of the front cover, I set about disassembling the iPod.
Or rather, I set about trying.

What it doesn't show you on the video, is the fact that not only is the front actually incredibly difficult to get off, but also the fact that the apparently super sharp green plastic iPod opener thingies are cunningly fashioned from some type of cheese, and are therefore completely useless when it comes to anything other than snapping, rounding their ends off, or bending beyond being useful. Perhaps I was doing something wrong...

Anyway, I got the ipod in bits on my desk, at which point my sense of purpose abandoned me, and as if waking from a dream, I found myself sat in front of my dismembered gadget, with the murder weapon in my hand. Reflecting for a minute or so on the horror of what I'd done, I swore to turn my butcher's hands into those of a surgeon. ]

I followed the procedure which was pretty uneventful. At least it was until I not only accidentally removed the cable retaining clip from the hard disk, but bent one of the connecting pins on the hard disk in my efforts to get it back on.
It went back on.
So with trepidation, I finally reassembled my iPod with its new cover, and pressed Menu.

Nothing.
At all.
Then the screen went black.
Then a white apple appeared on the screen.
Which turned silver as the screen lit up.

And then the system menu came up, complete with all my songs and videos. The transplant was a success, and my iPod was ALIVE!

So I'm bloody glad I've got that sorted, I can tell you :).

Here's a few pics anyway :), take care :).













No comments: