Wednesday, December 19, 2007

iPod Mania...

No, not a new model of iPod, but a condition which, thanks to my employers, I now seem to be suffering from.
The company I work for are in general, despite all my criticisms and protestations, not a bad company to work for overall. You wouldn't want to have a carreer there, but a year or two working there might be fine enough. What happened today is evidence that they do actually take morale at work seriously, at least to a degree. Any company is only made of people, after all.
Let's start from the beginning.

I got home at 6pm yesterday, completely exhausted. The first thing I did was crawl into bed and fall asleep. In true me fashion, I woke at 10pm, 11pm, and finally 12:30 am.

I got up for a couple of hours, generally chilled out, got my stuff ready for work, taking extra care to put my work clothes in the airing cupboard (a large cupboard that houses the gas boiler that provides the house's central heating and hot water), so I'd have some nice toasty warm clothes to put on in the morning...

Anyway, I woke up at 6:50 this morning, after turning the alarm off at least twice. I got out to get my clothes on, to discover that not only had my sudden cold confiscated my ability to breathe through my nose, but that the boiler had A. not been on during the night, thus not heating my clothes at all, and B. leaked cold water all over my work clothes.
Cursing and shivering, swearing and sniffing from my cold, I put on a set of completely damp work clothes - What a great start to the day!!!

Anyway, I had a typically hellish day at work, during which time my boss plied me with medication to try and make me feel better. Unfortunatley, because it was only cold/congestion medication, I didn't notice any particularly interesting effects. Dissatisfied with the morning's work, I finally (it bloody felt a long time in coming!) dragged myself downstairs for my lunch, which lasted an hour before I got a call from a number I didn't recognise.
I gave a few seconds thought to hanging up on the caller, I don't like getting random calls, but instead curiosity got the better of me and I answered - it turned out to be Nick, a workmate of mine, with an excitedly confused but urgent message along the lines of "come back up, they're handing out prizes!!!"

And go back up I did.
Did I win anything?

Actually yes. I did. To my complete surprise, I won a brand new mint green iPod Shuffle.
A fantastic free present, nice and sparkly and very small. Unfortunatley, also completely redundant as I own a 30Gb iPod video that never leaves my side...

I tried to sell it, discreetly, as I didn't want to appear ungracious. But it seems that no one was interested.

I went home, iPod in my bag, and got ready for the work's christmas do. Nothing special really, a few beers with my team at a local pub, a nice christmas dinner (that was bloody awful), and I received not only a few christmas cards from my colleagues (they look nice on the wall, don't ya know), but a mahoosive bottle of perry, and a huge bottle of chocolates. Yay!

Anyway, I'm sat here now, with my nose practically glowing in the dark from all the rubbing I've been doing to try and keep it clean, I ache all over, but now, having finally decided to keep my iPod shuffle, I've synced it to my computer (I can actually now synch two ipods to the same machine, without fouling up the playlists), and i've got to admit, I like it.

It's not the present I would have hoped for, but who the hell am I to complain? It's an iPod, it's free, they didn't have to give me anything at all, so I should be grateful for what I've got.
And ya know, I think I am.

It'll come in useful, this little (tiny!) box of tricks!














Anyway, here is a horrifically badly taken shot of the new iPod Shuffle (the one in green), and its big big big brother, the iPod Video, showing, as always, one of the great Dr Ashen's many fantastic video reviews!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

an iPod!!! My gracious work have been so kind as to let us leave an hour early today as a christmas present...