Saturday, January 26, 2008

Girls on Film...

Okay, so it's been a slightly less mediocre week than usual.

Well, I suppose I'll kick off with the events of wednesday, when I spent most of the morning at my desk, with my hand in a cup of cold water. I went down to wash out my coffee cup, which had last week's coffee in it (I'd lost my cup before I could clean it out - I'm not THAT much of a scruffy sod), so on goes the kettle, cup's there ready to be washed out with nice boiled water.

Kettle clicks, I pick it up, go over to pour water in cup, which is when it kinda went into slow motion.

1. Cup falls over.
2. I start pouring boiling water onto cup.
3. Left hand goes to pick cup up.
4. Boiling water runs down my hand.

YAY, what fun. So like a loony I'm stood there with my hand under the cold tap. I eventually managed to get off to work, nursing (what turned out to be a superficially) scalded hand.
Weird pain though scalding, there's no way to kind of replicate that particular type of pain.
Not that you'd want to anyway...
Of course, by the end of the day it had stopped hurting, and 24 hours later it was as if it had never happened.

I got security searched on wednesday too. I've been there a couple of years (I forget - it's been too long), and I've never been searched before - basically, our company has a random search policy where they can just pull you off the floor and search you.
And the one day I got searched was the day I had brought in a .50 FMJ round to show a mate of mine. So I'm there explaining to the security dude why I'm carrying a bullet (and a pretty sizable one at that) round with me.
He was satisfied that it's only a lump of metal, but, from a security point of view, he said it's still dangerous, "because it's heavy and it's pointed, and if you threw it at someone's head it would cause quite a bit of damage". I'm not making this up.

So what else have I been up to?

Today I have been mostly receiving free stuff. I've been looking at getting a DSLR, so a mate of mine who's just taken possession of one says "I've got an old style Film SLR, borrow that, learn how to use an SLR, THEN get an expensive digital one". I can kinda see where he's coming from because with digital cameras, you can just point and click, click, click, click, there's no incentive to set up good shots, no reason to improve your tecnique and photograpy skill. Whereas with normal SLRs, it's caught on 35mm film, so you have to go and get those developed - obviously, no one wants to pay to develop photos of crap, so you have the incentive right there, to set up, compose your photos and PAY ATTENTION to what you're doing.

Well my mate has been off work for a couple of days, today he comes in and plonks a camera bag on my desk. When asked when he wants the stuff back, he grins and says simply that he has other things on his mind, and he doesn't use it anyway. Officially, the camera is now mine...

Wow, okay, so I've just been given, well, what have I been given (See photos at bottom)...

I've got the camera, including three lenses (which I'm told are worth substantially more than the camera), I've got a load of filters, 10 36 exposure films, manuals and straps and covers and all sorts of stuff really.

And now I've got to learn to use it. I've got to learn about lighting matrices and apetures and exposures and lightings and ISOs and samplings and focusings and polarisings and scratchings and daubings and rubbings and all sorts of weird stuff. Going from a digital point and click to a 35mm SLR is definitley a big change, the two are completely different.

I was like a kid at christmas, on my lunch break. Taking it and poking things and pressing buttons and adding lenses and all sorts. Not having a blind clue what any of it did, of course.
Even on the way home, when the bus started pouring white smoke and bits of turbo bearing/blades out of the exhaust (meaning I had to wait an hour for the next bus to come and rescue us), I carried on keeping myself occupied with pressings and focusings and generally pointing it at things :). Kid at christmas, definitley.

So as I say, the plan is to use the camera, to get good at taking photos, to get experience at setting shops up and THEN when I'm good enough to justify the expense, I can sell the stuff and get a DSLR. If I don't decide I like 35mm too much!

Anyway, it's kinda late so I'm off to chill out. Laters all! :)

No comments: