I was a kid who was young enough to equate a popular TV show, with real life.
This video
stuck in my mind. I dunno. Having been released in 1987, (I was born in '85) I was lucky enough to witness what was perhaps one of the first music videos ever. And I saw it and my young mind recorded it verbatim! My young mind saw the video on TV, saw the explosions, and I told myself: This is what my dad does at work!!!!
I saw it when I was a kid, and I knew my dad "went out" to work. He was gone for hours, almost half a day at a time. He went out before mum and got back after mum. He always said he'd gone to work "in town".
And like a kid, I naturally figured that he made a living driving speedboats, dodging bullets, and surviving explosions.
So here, in a somewhat emotional fashion, is to my youth, when my dad was the biggest superhero of all. When I thought he could leap off a sinking speedboat into a harbour, still fight all the baddies, and recover the cash, all while managing to smoke a cigar to a stub while having a Bell Jetranger hovering above his head. When his mechanical pencil was extra special, and not to be fucked with, cos it's "Dad's pencil". When his rulers or pens or BBC Computer, or solid oak desk was not to be fucked with, cos "it's Dad's Stuff".
I was lucky enough to be born to an awesome dad.
Through my adolescence, even my early adulthood, my dad has never become less awesome...
I love you dad :).
I miss being a kid :).
Laters...
No comments:
Post a Comment