Looking outside, I saw a silver Ford Focus estate, struggling to get up the road (or at least, struggling to avoid sliding back down it). The noise coming from the car, was the sound of the driver bouncing the engine off the rev limiter repeatedly, combined with the sound of his (ruined by now, probably!) front tires going "SKREEEEE" against the road as they kicked up impressive arcs of...
Snow! Snoe, snoeww! lovely snoe! Well, lovely when you don't have anywhere to go I guess :-).
At a rough guess, we probably have 3/4 inches of it at the moment, with the sky still flat grey and the snow still coming down. Oddly, even the telephone cables that go from the utility pole to the individual houses, are caked in snow, and look really odd, now being about 2 inches thick, instead of maybe 1cm thick.
One other thing I woke up to was the sound of my mum, taking the christmas decorations down. Obviously they need to come down because if they didn't, how would we put them back up? Despite this, I've always found it a depressing affair. Weird cos I've always found putting them up infuriating.
Sooo, as I ask each time, what have I been up to?
Well, drinking a lot actually, to the point where even I would question whether it's a good idea. 24 pints in 10 days - can't be good for you.
Regardless, a fun time was had by all (me) and I didn't cause/get into any trouble which was fair enough :-).
One other thing I may have been up to is watching the New Year's celebrations on TV, as I do every single year, with my family. Don't know why, surely it'd be great to count it down with a beer in your hand or something - I dunno I prefer spending the time with my family.
After the huge firework display on TV though, we did indeed go outside, to find...
...fewer fireworks than we expected. This year everyone seems to have replaced their fireworks with those Chinese Lantern thingiemabobs. Not to worry though, because there certainly were a lot of them. Drifting over houses and off into the distance. Over 15 in the sky floating about at one point, which certainly made the place look a bit surreal. They were like little mobile constellations.
Anyway I'm off now, have fun :-).
Update 16:42 (Written at the time, on my ipaq, copied to PC 02:53 the following morning):
Well, sorry about having to dash off, nephew was being a little bit hyper.
We went out for a lovely wander in the snow, which turned out to be closer to six inches in places, rather than four as I'd suspected.
The little guy had a fun old time, dancing in the snow, watching the various dogs being walked, and giggling at all the kids sledging, some of whom had turned a heart-shaped sandpit into a three-man/kid sledge, a-la Takeshi's Castle.
Eventually, my nephew decided that he was too cold to enjoy himself in the snow, conveniently while we were at the fathest part of our route, away from the house.
I managed to get us home fairly quickly, detouring through the estate across the park, before heading through the "Magical woodley woods".
Oddly upon getting back, I was apprehended and asked to brush the snow off the windows of our cars. A fool's errand obviously, given that it was - *checks out the window* - is still snowing. I don't know where my dad thinks we're likely to be going tomorrow, in at least six inches of snow, but at least the windows will be clear.
Except they won't, as it's in the minuses outside, and since I cleared them, another CM of snow has fallen.
Well, I'm off to play Pocket UFO on my iPaq, my nephew having commandeered my computer to play the zoo game. Have fun :-).
Update: 02:57: Well, the snow continued to come down intermittently, switching between not snowing, to snowing reasonably heavily. Nothing major, but enough to keep the snow fresh, and more than enough to once again, cover the windows of the cars.
By 6pm, we'd finished taking down the last of the christmas decorations, and they're now safely stowed in the loft ready for christmas this year. The room looks kinda plain, but hey, it looks tidier.
Appropriately, tonight I finished another one of my ickle christmas presents: One that I forgot to open on Christmas Day.
While I was off out some time, my nephew and my mum conspired to cook me some lovely shortbread Christmas trees. I figured "meh, home baking, won't be as good as the stuff you buy in shops".
I tried them, and I was right. They weren't as good. They were much much better :-D.
So having finished them, and having made my bed, I'm now off to sleep in it. Hopefully we'll have plenty more snow overnight :-D.
Byee!
Oh yeah, some pictures - the table is our little feast we had on the 27th - another nice family occasion :-). There's my shortbread, and there is a snowy shiny photo of the woodley woods :-).
Dunno why they're so big, but hey :-).


No comments:
Post a Comment