Or Yellowout, I guess. Good old sodium lamps.
Yeah, the weather in the past few days, has been vaguely disappointing verging on absolutely nuts. As reports of heavy snow bringing the country to a halt filled the news, I sat in my bedroom looking out on a street covered in half-melted slush, and rooftops dripping with water from melted frost, wondering what the big deal was.
But oh, no more folks. Nope. Nopers.
The weather has been pretty cold, though getting warmer (in part due to the presence of huge snow clouds over our heads I spose), and even while 12 hour old facebook status updates spoke gleefully of snow that never quite appeared, my ickle nephew and I looked to the skies. For different reasons.
See, the lil dude was due to go on a school trip today to one of the local football stadiums ("stadia" sounds crap) for a christmas party of some kind. He'd been watching the skies with apprehension, fearing, quite rightly that the snow would stop him from being able to attend.
For my part, I looked at the clouds cheerfully, because I love snow. Always have, ever since I was ickle. And even as I saw the snow coming down in huge falls of snow (what else?), I kinda felt sorry for the lil dude, but was awesomely cheerful to be able to look forward to the home version of a snow day.
However, all was not lost, as we had a contingency plan.
Today, my icke nephew went to school, only to reappear an hour later, with the news that the place was closed. Not to worry. We spent a day in the awesomely snowy park, where I built the most beautiful, smooth, and almost, but not quite, completely not round at all snowball about the size of a soccer ball. This snowball is currently sitting in the back garden, with a tiny tennis-ball sized "head" on top of it and a couple of sticks forlornly but heartwarmingly poking out of it.
I spose after all this snow it's not so spherical anymore. Cone-shaped would be a good guess.
As with last year, the ickle dude finally decided enough was enough and complaining of cold feet, we went home to have our "emergency party".
Yup, in leiu of a real party, we went up to the local store and bought all manner of tasty goodies, and had an impromptu substute party at our house.
The rest of the evening was taken up with him watching me drive Argos trucks around on UK Truck Simulator, pretending we were driving Christmas Presents about. The snow picked up about the same time.
Wandering to the shop for christmas essentials, alone, in the snow, was a kinda weird experience. Save for the odd set of hour old footprints, their outlines softened by the dirt - ahem, now softened by snow, the place was completely silent, no people, no cars, and the snow only increased in intensity.
I got back with some general grocery type stuff, and have since been sitting inside watching a snowstorm rage outside that goes from being merely "heavy" to full-blown "insane".
And so end the last minutes of November. Heavy snowfall, awesomely christmassy weather. Even the car drivers (who I have affectionately dubbed "carfags") driving up and down the road no longer leave dirty great tyre marks, no, the snow just crunches under their tyres.
Awesome stuff :-).
Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment