Wednesday, April 09, 2008

More sparkliness

Okay, so a few things have happened since my last blog entry.

Pork rinds for one - last time I hadn't eaten any pork rinds, whereas now I've just eaten a packet of them. They were very yummy, but have left me feeling slightly ill. All that saturated fat.

My phone too, that's changed. The glass front of it has somehow been smashed, so I've had to order a new front (not as expensive as you'd think) to replace it. Which is fair enough, I like my phone, it's a nice slim handset and while other phones come in and go out of fashion, this one seems to have a timeless look about it, it's a design that never really becomes unfashionable.

I've also been throwing money at my photography, which devours it like a great big money devouring thing. One of my latest presents is my new lens. An old, but very very fast 50mm lens.
By "fast" I mean that the lens lets more light in over a given period of time, compared to other lenses. This means that the sensor doesn't have to be exposed to the light for as long, which means that exposures are much shorter. How "fast" is my lens? On a decent sunny day, it will happily allow me to take photos with exposures as short as one eight-thousandth of a second. This is fast enough to freeze the rotor blades of a helicopter in flight, fast enough to freeze aircraft propellers or car wheels.

I've also bought a rocket blower, in addition to something else that arrived only a couple of days ago.

As I mentioned in my birthday blog, you saw that my brother very kindly and thoughtfully bought me a lowepro micro trekker. a fantastic lil camera rucksack that allows me to take my camera gear here there and everywhere. However, my enthusiasm for photography has overtaken my available storage space, and it was only a couple of months before the microtrekker was not only full to capacity, but too small. This isn't a deficiency on the micro trekker's part - it was designed to be small, compact and easy to carry, and this it certainly is. But with a camera body with battery pack, six (at least seven before the end of the summer) lenses (count em folks!), two books, a rocket blower, and (by this time next month) a notebook computer and an SB800 speedlight, the little micro trekker found its capacity outmatched by the sheer amount of kit I own/want to own. Then there's the problem of carrying the tripod. A dead weight weighing nearly four kilos. While it's true that I could lash the tripod back to the micro trekker, it would be like carrying round a heavy and unbalanced letter P on my back.

So I went to 7dayshop and bought one of lowepro's largest models, the Compu Trekker AW. This much larger bag arrived a couple of days ago, and has vastly increased capacity. Not only is it designed to carry the tripod on its back, it's also capable of carrying a notebook computer and all the necessary cables. I've stuffed it full of all my camera related stuff and I'm still using only maybe 55% of the internal space of the bag. Plenty of room in there for lenses and a speedlight, and the tripod goes down the back of the bag without any problems at all. Ish.

Anyway, I've got to get all my stuff ready for tomorrow's photoshoot. That's right, tomorrow I'm going out with a mate, he's bringing his camera kit and I'm taking mine, and we're going to one of the local airports. There's a pub right next door to one of the taxiways, and the wings of the larger aircraft literally pass over your head while you're stood in the beer garden.

(56k warning, LARGE image!) View from the balcony of the pub, looking towards the beer garden. So we're taking our camera gear there, and want to get there nice and early so we catch all the international morning traffic (first time anyone's ever gone out with the intention of actually CATCHING the traffic eh?). Hopefully I should get some decent photos.

So now I've got an hour of cleaning all my gear, charging all my batteries etc etc.
Will post again soon, later! :)

Have some pictures. My computrekker all locked up and ready to go, and just how much free space there is inside :).

No comments: